Happy Memorial Day everyone! To all our military brothers and sisters that have served, are currently serving or have lost their lives for us, I say to you THANK YOU!
Turned out to be a great weekend! We decided to spend Saturday out ‘n about on one of our famous “day-trips” in New Jersey (my honey’s home state).
We started off at the Bergen Amateur Radio Association’s Spring Hamfest. A Hamfest is the “lingo” for ham radio flea market. Who knew that there was a flea market for ham radio stuff – not me until I was introduced to the world of ham radio from my honey who has his Extra Class Amateur Radio License.
Then we traveled across the state stopping along the way to browse (okay and make a few purchases LOL!) at a few garden shops! We stopped off at the Stone Mill Garden Center located on 769 Ridgewood Road, Washington Twp, NJ only to find they had the most beautiful bluebells calling my name (hee hee) and right along side the bluebells were a few other perennials that of course I couldn’t resist. Of course they all needed to be added to my garden so in the car they went! Along with a great new garden flag proudly featuring our great America Flag!
Next stop was the Olde Lafayette Village is located in the heart Sussex County at the intersection of State Routes 15 and 94 in Lafayette, New Jersey. I truly love these villages – there is something to be said for enjoying a beautiful spring or summer afternoon strolling along pathways, while stopping off and visiting various shops and meeting new friends! A few places I loved here included:
- JUDY & UNA LEE’S PRIM PANTRY etc. and just as their slogan reads, this adorable little shop has a little of this and a little of that-I loved it! Here I found this adorable little blue bird pot sitter which I immediately put on one of my window boxes!
- CAREY LANE ACCENTS was great! Here I found the most beautiful flower lights that had my name on but, I contained myself here and didn’t actually get this, this time, now I have a reason to go back!
- VILLAGE ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES was a treasure! Here I purchased a beautiful table runner with lace trimmed edges surrounding a pattern of pinks & mauve roses!
- NIHAO FASHION BOUTIQUE was fun! I love to find those special things that are unique and different – well here I found an adorable pink popcorn shirt and very special Victorian lady necklace holder!
- Everything Homemade Pastry Shop & Cafe and yes, our outings wouldn’t be complete without a little dessert, even if it comes as an afternoon snack while strolling through the shops of Olde Lafayette Village.
As you know, we most enjoy the new friends we meet as we travel in and around the Hudson Valley and Tri-State area. We are pleased to have had the chance to meet Don Thoenig, a.k.a. Don The Kazoo Man! Don was a delight to chat with and most entertaining! If you haven’t yet visited this quaint little shopping village we say consider visiting on June 19 when you will be able to meet and be entertained by Don!
Then, the surprise of the day was when we decided to get a bite to eat at The Chatterbox Drive-In, a family owned fifties and sixties style “drive-in” restaurant in Augusta, NJ. From Memorial Day through Labor Day they provide “Car-hop” service where you simply pull in and you will be served in your car by one of our waitresses! This will bring you back to the “good ol’ days,” even if you weren’t a part of them! But, back to the surprise, we pulled in only to find the Sussex, NJ Wanders Car Club was holding their Cruise Night! WOW, there must have been 200 or more amazing cars here! Check out some of the great cars!
We had another great day out ‘n about! As always, I wish you days filled with happiness and “wonder” – take the time to “wonder” what it is that made you smile today!